Tuesday, August 09, 2011

What a nice combination of genetic materials you have there!



Where does the time go? I can't believe my newborn is a month old already! Walter Felix Chapman was born July 3rd, 2011 weighing 8 lbs, 14 oz at 20 inches long. Our labor together took about 30 hours and was started quite dramatically by my water breaking on my massage therapists table!

I didn't know what to expect from labor, despite taking a birth class and reading many books on the subject. All the research added up to the fact that you really don't know until you're in it.  For me it was something I was able to do one contraction at a time.  Trying not to think of the hours stretching in to days. Working through the back labor I was so very much hoping to avoid altogether. Spending lots of time in the tub. Laughing inside at some of the crazy noises I was making. Feeling utterly secure in the team I had chosen to be in the birth room. Being so very thankful when it was over.  We're all very glad he's here.  My gratitude to Jesse and Amanda for helping me bring him in to this world is immense. I will never forget the hours they spent laboring with me.

This month has really flown by, but it wouldn't have been half as easy without all the support we've received from friends and family. This is a time when people really reach out and I can only begin to say thank you to all the people who've knitted blankets, prepared a meal or stopped by to visit. As much as I love the little guy, he isn't a great conversationalist (yet) and it's really great to have people come over. I can see how parenting can be isolating and I feel lucky that I have quite a network to tap into when needed. Or as his Great-Grandma Stella said: Walter's lucky already. Lucky to have such warm family and caring friends. I know because I'm lucky too.





No comments: