Friday, June 11, 2010

So what did I actually get up to last Saturday?

I did volunteer at Beacon Hill Library as I do almost every Saturday.  The program is "talk time" where we practice conversational English in an informal environment.  This time the topic was medicine, which was more enjoyable than it sounds.  Everyone has something to say about it and I learned a lot about many of the participants.  I like it best when we talk about food.  The Vietnamese ladies have a lot to teach me!  And it helps me to be more adventurous with my cooking. I think I'm ready to make Spring Rolls at home, heaven knows I like to eat them!


The Bad Things performing at Georgetown Farmers Market on June 5, 2010. 
Photo copyright 2010 by Zachary D. Lyons.

Jesse and I also made it to the opening of the Georgetown Farmers Market.  They had a truck with mobile knife sharpening! I wish I knew that before I arrived. I have many dull knives and scissors. Sigh.  Next time.  This is also where I learned about the edible forest that the Jefferson Park Alliance is working to build in South Beacon Hill. The concept is amazing!  I've never heard of a such a thing.  It will function like a park with a p-patch and recreational areas, but most plants in the park, even the shrubbery and trees will provide berries and fruit. What a cool thing to have in an urban area.  The Farmers Market isn't just about food for me, in fact we only bought apples there.  Feeling like part of a community, while learning about an urban forest and getting a chance to try out some giant hula hoops... that's why I go to the Farmers Market.

No comments: